This is Andrew with his karate teachers.
My children have been taking karate for three years. They started the summer before their third grade year. This year they will be going into the 6th grade. Karate has taught them a lot about self discipline, as well as given them self confidence. I hope they will never have to use what they have learned, but it is there if needed. They have just recently received their Jr. black belt. This is a big accomplishment! My son entered his first competition this past Saturday. He came out with first place in Katas. He placed 2nd place in weapons and 2 Man-Kata. He also placed third in sparing and board breaking. He won a trophy for best overall with his Kata. My daughter decided she didn't want to compete. Which I can understand completely. She was there, though, cheering on her brother! Karate has been great for both of them.
That is awesome!!! My oldest son (6) started Taekwondo last fall. Then my wife and I started last winter, and my daughter started 3 months ago. My littlest one (2) is into it at home. I started so I could spend time with my son, but it has turned into a family affair. We have all done a couple of tournaments, and I am sure they are similar. Except we only have forms competition (Poomse) and sparring. I figured out I am too old to spar anymore. I got a small fracture on my tibia from my last match, not to mention the mild concussion from taking a back kick to the chin (thank goodness for mouth guards.) I just wish we had a board breaking competition, so I could damage my hand :)
ReplyDeleteMy little cousin has done Taekwondo since he was 6 also. He has now reached a black belt with a degree and he is just starting high school. When he got his black belt at 11 years old, he started teaching classes. It has been a great motivator in his life. It looks like fun, but I would be too afraid to do it myself.
ReplyDelete