Thursday, August 2, 2012

As I watch my children on their tablets, I worry. As we've gone through all of these classes and talked about how technology is affecting the people who use it, I can see how it is affecting my own children. I don't like how it seems to control them. I've made some changes in our household as far the amount of time spent on any given device. These tablets quickly became the last thing they put down at night and the first thing they picked up in the morning. Not anymore.....this household will NOT be taken over by technology. Call me old fashioned, but I like the good ole days when children knew what it meant to work the land. We have had the kids setting up the round pen for the horses, picking up rocks, and we've thrown in a little fishing and playing horseshoes. I believe taking them away from the technology is the best thing we could do for them. They need to learn what it means to play outside again. I sure do miss the good ole days!


8 comments:

  1. I think that the technology we have opens many doors in various ways, but I have also seen the downfalls of the misuse of technology. You are definitely doing the right thing by not letting those tablets consume them. The time we spend together will always be the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Carlla. I am ole fashioned as well when it comes to family time and creating memories. I think it is very important for kids to go outside and use their imagination and run off energy. I am with you all the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. My kids love my iPad and we have to take turns. We are talking about getting C the iPad mini for Christmas just so I have access to my own tablet. But I am still hesitant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carlla, I think that it is wonderful that you are taking back the technology. They have to find old-school ways to entertain themselves and will probably enjoy it more in the long run. When they get older will they remember going fishing with their parents, or getting to a new level on Angry Birds. I'm guessing the first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think balance is key to everything. Experiences with nature are vital to healthy development, and I think technology has its place as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My visiting friend calls it the 'crack tab'. Terrible I know but it is so easy to pick it up and then time is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha Ha! That is hilarious!!! It does have a ring of truth to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I encourage a balance. Outdoor activities and socializing are important, as are the resources and learning that can take place on a tablet. Even those seemingly mindless games have their benefits to teaching strategy, prioritizing of tasks, problem solving, etc. They are very fortunate to have access to both of these worlds. Let's make sure that neither world overshadows the other.

    ReplyDelete